View Single Post
Old May 23, 2015   #12
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I would have drilled the drainage holes on the sides, six inches or so above the bottom.
I guess it would be pointless to do so at this point?

I assume you mean that the bottom of the tank should actually hold around six inches of water/liquid fertilizer?

I thought containers should drain cleanly and not let the roots sit in water. Then again, I'm new to container tomato growing and am here to learn.

If it would be beneficial to have some water sitting in the bottom of the tank, I could always put a non-permeable membrane, like plastic, on the bottom next year.

I really want my garden to produce some quality 'maters this year, but realistically I want to learn how to improve it for future seasons too. I will be limited to using these containers for awhile. After all, I already own them and would like to learn to use them in the most efficient way possible. As for using different containers in the future, there's probably not much demand among horse farmers for my troughs that won't hold water

Thanks for the advice! I am curious about this idea though because many container posts recommend watering containers until they are draining out of the bottom. The TFF fertilizer I bought advises to do a complete cleansing rinse of the growing medium every 2 weeks. Would side drainage 6" high cause excess build up of salts or other minerals/compounds that are desirable only in small quantities?

I know I have a lot to learn, but am determined to grow the best tasting tomatoes I can in these large containers, hopefully with reasonably good yields. I love the farmers market, but decent tomatoes are so $$$$ expensive, and after being spoiled growing in-ground at the farm I used to have access to, I count on having some good summertime tomatoes and am determined to make this type of system work. Thanks again, I will look into this idea more.

Last edited by squirrel789; May 23, 2015 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typos and more
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote