View Single Post
Old March 6, 2017   #15
TessSR
Tomatovillian™

If they are fingernail soft, you don't have to skin the opo squash. Some gourd skin tends to get toughter when cooked. I don't what kind, but I had one before that about half was just wasted after cooking as my kids don't want the tough skin. The opo squash skin is so tender, you don't even see or feel the skin when cooked.

It depends on what kind of bitter melon you are growing. There are some very prolific variety that you will only need 2-3 to grow to harvest a lot. If you use that much bittermelon, I would say plant several more.

I hardly cooked bittermelon. I pickle it with garlic, shalot, vinegar and black pepper. I hardly use salt with it. I read that the salt is what induce the bitter taste. So if must use a salt, use at the end of cooking. But you said you always cook with it, so you're a pro in cooking it

I'm sorry, I'm new here and still don't know how to navigate post, reply and quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post
Hi
Why do I have to peel the Opo? The young gourds I grow for vegetables are very tender, even the skin is edible. I only peel it if I can't cook it soon after picking. I do pick it while I can still pierce the skin with a fingernail. About 8" to 10" long.
I tried some bitter-melon leaf and tendril(raw) But forgot to try Edible Snake or the Tambuli gourd leaves, I will this season. If I grow it.
I also grew a Hybrid edible gourd-but it was just called Hybrid Opo Short. Sort of generic name.

TessSR is offline   Reply With Quote