View Single Post
Old August 10, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Here is exactly what I do. I start eggplant as I do tomatoes - transplant into 4 inch pots, deeply, just like tomatoes. I then move them into their final resting place - for me 5 gallon pots - in a mix of soilless mix and composted cow manure. They are in direct sun, right on my light colored concrete - so they warm up very quickly. Early on, with the flea beetle issue, I spray with Sevin until the plants start growing vigorously and blossoming. I use a slow release granular every two weeks, and water in the morning and evening. I stake with 3 foot stakes (the plants are on the concrete, but against my lawn - the stakes go into the lawn, not in the pots, since the plants get very heavy with fruit and would pull over the stake if it were in the pot). I start harvesting in about 50-60 days from transplant into the large pots, and end up picking 10-20 fruit from each plant - and grow all sorts, from the large bell types to the slender Asian types.

Anything in this description that you can grab onto, in terms of identifying your issues?