Thread: Pea strategies
View Single Post
Old February 17, 2012   #51
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

I have more pea questions for those who have patience for a couple more, especially if you live somewhere near Northern VA ...

When are you usually pulling your peas out? How about shelling vs. snap vs. snow -- do they generally last different lengths of time?

We didn't talk too much about succession planting in this thread. I'm thinking of putting some peas (probably Super Sugar Snap) where I'll want to plant beans later -- wondering if the peas would be done in time? Should I plan it so I can plant the beans in front of the peas, in case they need to overlap time-wise? Also thinking of putting some peas (maybe Sugar Ann -- supposed to be earlier?) in two long, narrow beds where I'll plant melons and squash -- I was thinking like this: Short row of peas across the bed east-west, a squash plant, peas, squash, etc. ... and then when I pull each patch of peas, I could plant a new squash or melon plant in its place. (It seemed to me that later-planted squash and melons took off quickly last summer, and the squash, at least, took over for tired older plants.) Would the timing likely work out for these ideas?

Also planning to put some Mayfair shelling peas in the back (east side) of the tomato patch ... they're supposed to handle the heat relatively well and I figure that they can hang on as long as they want to there, and maybe the shade as the tomatoes grow will help them stay cooler as it gets hot.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote