View Single Post
Old July 6, 2007   #7
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

FLAVORED VINEGAR

3 c White wine vinegar
Fruit flavor
2 Tbsp Honey

Combine vinegar, fruit flavor, and honey in a 2- to 3-quart pan. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until cool. If chosen fruit flavor contains pulp, pour liquid through fine strainer into a bowl; discard residue.

Pour vinegar through a funnel into a 1-quart bottle, plain or decorative. Close tight; let stand at least one day. Use or keep at room temperature up to 4 months. If an opaque film develops on surface, either spoon it off or pour vinegar through a fine strainer into a pan and bring to boiling. Wash bottle and then refill with vinegar. Store as before.

Fruit flavor:

Rinse and drain 4 cups fresh berries (currants (crushed), raspberries, blueberries or strawberries, hulled and sliced); or use 12 to 16 oz. frozen, unsweetened berries. Add fruit to vinegar and heat as directed above. Pour through strainer and bottle.

CRANBERRY (or CURRANT) LIQUEUR

First Day:

Crush three quarts berries in glass bowl.
Leave uncovered in refrigerator 24 hours.

Second Day:

Add a fifth of Everclear, stir. Leave covered at room temperature for 24 hours.

Third Day:

Boil 6 cups sugar and 3 cups water for 5 minutes.
Strain berries and add juice to cooled syrup.

Age 3 weeks (longer is better!)

Can use black or red currants, raspberries, blueberries, or others.

We can grow both red and black currants here. Although (to me) the black ones taste positively nasty right off the bush, and even have an offensive odor, they give a much better flavor in jelly and other recipes. I had been aware that it was illegal to grow black currants in many locations, but did not realize red currants were also prohibited. I learn something here every day!

Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote