View Single Post
Old April 30, 2018   #115
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if I did the right thing, by planting sprouts which came off from seed potatoes, which I removed from the packaging. I had bough two small bags of Red Duke of York seed potatoes in February and kept those in cool garage. Today I remembered the bags and went to get them to put them in the greenhouse to sprout. The potatoes had grown quite thick sprouts in the dark, which seemed to have tiny roots and leaves starting to grow.
Since I did not want to waste the sprouts, I planted those to empty milk cartons, so that the tops are just above the soil. If these will take root, I can add more soil to the cartons, when the plants grow.

After that I came here to search and found out that the spouts should had have bigger roots and leaves for planting. There is not much lost, if these will not grow, since I was going to toss away the loose sprouts. But now I found information about how to get more plants from the small seed potato bags, which have the more expensive kinds, which are not usually grown by the farmers in Finland.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potato sprouts.jpg (124.4 KB, 95 views)