View Single Post
Old January 21, 2017   #34
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™
 
dmforcier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Is the plastic on pliers supposed to keep you from getting shocked? I thought it was just there for grip. I remember as a kid having a lawn mower that wouldn't die unless the spark plug wire was removed. I picked up a pair of pliers to do it, thinking the insulation would protect me...and shocked myself quite effectively.
The voltage at the spark plug is WAY up there -- 10,000V or more. It will surface conduct over an insulator if there's dirt or damp and no better path. Home voltage is much lower so the insulators much more effective.

An better way to stop a a spark ignited engine is to ground the plug electrode to the block. Place point of screwdriver against block, then shaft against the spark circuit. Gives the juice an easier path since there's no gap to jump.
__________________


Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers


dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote