View Single Post
Old March 29, 2018   #3165
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
Hey all, it took me 2 weeks....but I finally finished reading every post of the year 1 AND 2 floridians threads! Holy smokes I sure learned a lot. Since my last post, a lot of my issues have resolved once I switched from the nature's care MG potting mix to pro-mix HP. I lost a few plants and still have a few pots of peppers in the old soil that are struggling, but i keep an eye on them and they've been regrowing foliage since I got rid of the aphids and fungus gnats with soapy water made with dr. Bronners peppermint soap. It worked incredibly well!

Anyhow, last week we got some pretty incredible winds with 30mph gusts and a container I planted with bush beans took a beating. I wasn't able to be home one day and the planter was left out in the wind and full sun the entire day. Half of them were almost uprooted and were laying on their side. I put them upright and staked them up, but several days later they looked diseased. Initially I could see some windburn and possible sunscald, but now it looks like something a lot worse. I replanted a new batch of seeds in a different container and have kept the old ones seperate from my other plants, but I wanted to ask whether I should just get rid of the old ones asap to keep disease from spreading. Although the leaves are wilted and brown, the beans on the plant continue to get larger everyday. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Brock
Mites. They may not be salvageable, but it couldnt hurt to hit them with permethrin spray. It's synthetic pyrethrins, only stronger. Pyrethrins are natural, ftom chrysanthemums. I use a 10% concentrstion, diluted into my 2 gallon sprayer at 2/3 of a tablespoon spray, and I also put in my diluted copper fungicide since thry are compatible and can be sprayed together. Mites need spray evrry 4 days for 3 times to kill the hatching nymphs.
Actually doing it this am.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote