View Single Post
Old April 13, 2018   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse or inside grow lights to start seedlings?

In the past I grew a lot of seedlings under grow lights inside my house. They always did well. I think back over pictures of them, planted in January and February, and how lush and healthy they looked even in that early part of the year. I don't remember any trouble in actually growing them, and them always being the picture of health.

This year I put in a small greenhouse (12 x 16) and my seedling efforts have been dismal at best. I thought the natural sunlight would be better for the plants, but I'm not sure I believe that now. Also, the temp fluctuations have been so extreme, that the seedlings that sprout seem to get shocked and get to 3-4 inches tall and just stop growing. I would rank this year's greenhouse-for-seedlings as close to a total failure as it gets.

I'm going to abandon my greenhouse for seedlings project and start growing inside my house again under stable and moderate temps with grow lights. I wanted to ask others here there experiences in trying to grow seedlings in a relatively small greenhouse, and also success stories about growing inside under lights and what are the recommended fixtures and light sources used today. I haven't grown under lights in probably 10 years and I still have what I believe was called full spectrum grow lights. They are fluorescent tubes.

Thanks, and I look forward to your replies.
Don

Last edited by TomatoDon; April 13, 2018 at 04:18 AM.
TomatoDon is offline   Reply With Quote