Thread: Ante'd up
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2018   #20
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Have grown sunn hemp 2 years, have not noticed much difference. I can't grow tomatoes in the Summer so I like to keep anti nematode roots going in the patch. SH is supposed to be good for the soil as a legume and as organic matter whether or not it discourages nematodes. I think that the trick for me may be to plant through a thick mat of live rye in the Spring. We are in black gumbo clay here, and started this the first time we noticed a problem, so our rkn issues are minor compared to folk in sandy soils. I don't see legumes like clover and alfalfa as necessary and they may even host a few bad guys. I try mixed covers because I heard that its a good thing. Here is a pic from Oct 2016 from July planted tomato that we did not till or Summer cover, just pulled the played out Spring tomatoes, moved over 2 ft and post hole planted through played out Winter cover. Not awful, but not good, and cucumbers were worse. These are better than we saw in 2013. Adequate suppression may be all I ever get, and I reserve the option to graft, but would probably continue with cover crops even then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3456.JPG (353.2 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by decherdt; May 7, 2018 at 05:27 AM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote