View Single Post
Old April 5, 2018   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Considering Outside Help

Lately, I have been very busy. I havent had hardly anytime to even get on here. This got me thinking. At what point does a Farmer/Plant Grower really look into outside, off the farm help?

Each year I try to expand a little more. Im hoping this Fall to build 2 more High Tunnels. I like the 12x48 footprint. Its economical to build, and maintain. Hoping the Farmers Market income covers the costs.

Couple days ago I was working on filling up my grow bags. This required a trip to the city to get soil making materials. Between that, and filling over 200 bags, and placing them in the Tunnel, and planting bush beans in them, I had about 2.5 days tied up. Eventually, I want to replace those bags in the tunnel with raised beds.. but thats not the point.

None of us are getting any younger. Thats for sure. As I expand Im trying to make things easier, not harder.

Then I started thinking that eventually I am going to most likely have to get help. My wife works full time in the Health Care Industry. Daughter is in HS and has a part time job. So that leaves me, and the cat. And the cat is busy chasing mice.....

Until my operation becomes really profitable, I cant afford to pay someone, not with CASH. Im considering the idea of offering Vegetables/Herbs/Fruits/Flowers as a form of payment in exchange for labor. I have seen this offered at some CSA Farms. Basically allowing you to pay off your CSA with sweat equity.

Anyone have any ideas, pointers, concerns? Im just putting this out there. Just to ponder the idea.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote