View Single Post
Old April 7, 2018   #14
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

I really want to say thanks for all the responses. I intended to earlier today, but it was a busy, busy day at the Market. Its chilly and raining, and I was thinking I was wasting my time. For the first hour, not a buying customer. Everybody wanted to just talk. Then suddenly the cash started flowing. I actually did better today then last Sat, and last Sat was gorgeous. Go figure. It just proves that anything can happen. The Market can be hard to gauge. Thats for sure.

Moving on...

There certainly are a lot of aspects to hiring someone. I have no delusions about that. Thats why I am leaning towards College AG. Students, or a "Work Share".

College AG. Students would be in it for the Class Credit. So it would certainly be in their interest to do good work. They would get real world experience, far better then any Text Book.

A "Work Share" would be in it for the product that they help sow, plant, and harvest. They would have a vested interest in the final product, because they get to take home something that they actually helped with. The ideal candidate would realize the value because the produce would supplement the grocery budget. And lets all be honest, food IS going UP in price. And it seems like once a week a recall is on the news.

An Employee. This is my least favorite option. And its not because Im a tightwad. Its because we have all worked at places where we had a co-worker who was only in it for the paycheck, and did everything possible to milk the clock for every nickle. With the society we live in now, you can be sued for "Wrongful Termination", "Discrimination", and a whole slew of other reasons. Finding the right person could be truly hit or miss.

I think the ideal situation would be to find a "Work Share" who does good work, then when the time is right, and all the Stars align, offer a paying Job.

Thats what I think anyways. And grant it, this is sometime in the future. Not right now. But the future is coming no matter what. Time sets still for no one. And to think, about 10 years or so ago, I was just dreaming about growing a little extra to sale at a Market. Now I have 2 Greenhouses, wanting to build more, expanding my plant business, considering options for something along the lines of a CSA, and now possibly getting help to "help" me out.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote