View Single Post
Old April 9, 2018   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
Unless they were part of an AG program, and were looking at needing the Credit for a Class, then you are absolutely correct, which is what Patihum was getting at.

But otherwise, your math is pretty much what I had in mind. I would need to find an able bodied Adult, who has some free time, and doesnt mind the sweat equity factor.

Maybe I need to hunt out some Farms that do a CSA that way, and I know a few exist, to see how they handle such matters.

On a similar note, a few years ago I saw a Craigslist ad, advertising a 1 Acre Family Farm that was in need of help. Pay was in veggies. It always stuck in my mind.
Good luck on finding free help, I'm on a priority waiting list for regular landscaping! The going rate that help gets paid is $25 hour here. That isn't what the consumer pays, it is what the labor gets paid. They can cut and trim a lawn in 20 minutes, and the charge is about $75. Very profitable, but seasonal.

Traditionally but not always ag students come from an ag background. For college independent study credit, you need approval from the department in advance. This would involve the student writing a detailed proposal, regular updates meeting an advisor, and a summary report. The experience would be in a specific concentration, such as ag economics or sales, marketing, international, etc. Back in the day for me, interns did small projects and typed a lot. I feel so bad for them now!

You might try a temporary employment agency. They handle the paperwork and some insurance. And it is temporary in nature anyway. Many temps need a flexible schedule and gardening certainly provides that.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote