View Single Post
Old May 6, 2015   #7
hiker_
Tomatovillian™

GreenFarmer, it is a soilless mix of peat, perlite and vermiculite. Too much vermiculite for my area, I guess. I unplugged the heat mat. I own one fan. Time for it to go off upstairs air circulation duty and onto basement plant duty!

Ray, mine look worse to my eyes than in the photos. In the photos the older leaves on two of the ground cherries look like they might just be reflecting light, but nope, they're actually lighter in color between the veins--but only to that rather abrupt stopping point. And the new leaves look just awful. Unlike before I potted them up.

Here are some more photos.

Clockwise from top left: Pepper, best-looking ground cherry, worst-looking ground cherry, cuke.
WithOtherPlants.JPG

Closeup of worst-looking ground cherry. Note the bad state of the new leaf:
SickGroundCherry.JPG

Another of the worst-looking ground cherries. This was hard to photograph. The light shining through the young leaf makes it look not as bad as in reality. In reality, there is definite brown on the base of that leaf. In this photo you can also glimpse the white mold that is growing on the surface of the mix (lower left):
AnotherSickGroundCherry.JPG

Not all the ground cherries' pots have this mold, but some do. That mold also grew all over the surface of my (other) stored mix (not the one used to pot these up). It also attacked a newly germinated pepper seedling in sterile germinating mix--it started on the seed cap, then spread to the cotyledons, then the stem. The seedling immediately, unusually early, started to grow true leaves. Since it was still alive and a trouper I took a dish towel soaked in vinegar and extremely carefully dabbed the mold away, and after a second such dabbing it hasn't come back to that seedling. But my basement obviously has a problem with that mold.
hiker_ is offline   Reply With Quote