View Single Post
Old July 16, 2016   #54
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Hi Shapshftr,

I know the leaf mold Fulvia Fulva, which is a dreaded defoliator in my greenhouse on times when it's humid and hot. Leaves turn yellow but as you showed, can be distinguished from other things by the brownish/tan spore masses on the underside of the yellowed leaf.
One thing though, to my knowledge it doesn't have any effect on stems - I've never seen a stem affected by it in any way.
The only good thing about the leaf mold for me, is that it is not a bit viable when the weather turns colder, so if the plants survive the ravages of the hot spell, they can grow new leaves and carry on. Not so good obviously if you live somewhere it's perpetually humid and hot!
Hi Bower, yes I saw the brown spore masses on the backs of the leaves and thought leaf mold right away. But the other symptoms are of fusarium wilt and rot. It's possible he has more than one issue going on. Sometimes a plant weakened by a disease becomes more susceptible to others. But it's also possible that browning on the stem is from some sort of insect damage rather than rot.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote