View Single Post
Old June 15, 2015   #52
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

This is an excellent article written by Fred T. Davies, Jr. of Texas A&M University about the benefits of Mycorrhizal Fungi.
http://www.biogreenorganic.com/all-a...y-fred-davies/

The sentences that I have highlighted from the above link are the main reasons I inoculate my tomatoes and pepper plants with Endomycorrhiza.

“Endomycorrhiza are characterized by arbuscules (arbuscular mycorrhiza), and some endomycorrhiza will form both arbuscules and vesicles
these are referred to as vesicular arbuscular mycorrhiza (Fig. 1). Mycorrhizal hyphae penetrate into the host root cortical cells and extend outward into the surrounding soil, thus increasing the roots surface area. Vesicles are used for food storage, and arbuscules are involved in exchange of elements (phosphorus, magnesium, iron, etc.) which the mycorrhiza gives to the host plant. With this symbiotic association, the mycorrhiza help the host plant more efficiently absorb soil elements and soil water, while the host plant gives the fungi carbon (carbohydrates), since mycorrhiza cannot photosynthesize. Arbuscular mycorrhiza produce a hydrophobic protein called glomalin, which prevents the hyphae from desiccating, and ultimately encourages soil aggregation around the root system that improves the root contact with water and mineral elements in the rhizosphere (Fig 2). This increases the plants resistance to drought and other stresses.”

“INFORMATION ON MYCORRHIZA
The following web sites offer excellent information on mycorrhiza: 1) Mycorrhizal Information Exchange – Bob Augé, University of Tennessee; 2) International Mycorrhiza Society; 3) Joe Morton, INVAM— International Culture Collection of Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi; and 4) Fred Davies, Nursery Crop Physiology Lab, Texas A&M University

Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; June 15, 2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Fixed a link
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote