View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013   #45
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I am not trying to be cagey Bill. I simply am not fully understanding. I see the productivity advantage of flowering every 2 nodes in an indeterminate. I have even grown indeterminates that had this trait, although it is rare. Over 30 years ago I crossed a Rutgers (semi-determinate strain) with a yellow indeterminate tomato, (I forget which one but it was from Burpee and Mom liked it) and in my f3 generation I had a yellow indeterminate that flowered every 2 nodes like you mentioned. It even occasionally threw an extra flower right at the leaf joint like you said above (very rarely). That strain is long gone because I moved away and got sidetracked with life!

But it never occurred to me to call it anything other than an especially fruitful and productive indeterminate.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote