View Single Post
Old January 31, 2018   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I buy rooted cuttings from a supplier near me. that said... I take what I can get because you need to give a grower 15 weeks lead time to order specific plants. I am never ready to order in October when I should be. I am still in the garden or high tunnel working. I buy whatever she has for extras from other peoples orders. I try to get there early and start my baskets by mid feb.... if the cuttings are big enough or maybe I am seeing a bit of color before planting up. some colors just don't look right together and others aren't what you expect.. I hate mismatched colors. even the combinations that the big suppliers put together? gag! some of them are not pretty at all. weird color combinations.

Don't get carried away trying to get too fancy. too many colors or too much stuff. give it a main color a secondary color in a smaller flower and a foliage with odd texture or color. somthing that trails. somethings grow really slow or really shrubby. know what the mature shape is before putting it all together. usually a 10" hanging basket will need 3 main flowers and 3 more plants...
3 secondary and a texture... such as a petunia variety- a callibrochia variety and a tiny flower such as bacopa or a texture such as licorice vine or dichondra. I also hate white hanging baskets. I buy only brown. (these baskets are from a couple years ago. I had a few extra white ones donated to me so I used them up. I tried green too. I like the brown the best. which of course is a personal preference. do what works for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1981.jpg (435.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1715.jpg (539.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by clkeiper; January 31, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote