View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012   #39
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Hey Scott, thanks for the prompt reply. I was laughing at your "lazy" comments because I don't think any of us gardeners are lazy, per say, but I do admit to procrastinating. Many times the weather just doesn't cooperate so when there is a "nice" day, I end up putting in my garden under not very ideal conditions. Soil too wet, usually, and dear hubby has turned it as a surprise favor, knowing I'm itching to get into the dirt. Means well but it usually doesn't turn out the best.

But hey, I DO have chickens. Keep in mind that the wind blows here, esp in spring, at a scary speed so it would be hard to keep that type of paper mulch in place. I'm willing to try and I do have access to lots of newspapers (I work at a hospital). What size beds are you talking about? I would like to temper what I would love to grow vs what I can take care of and make look nice, be productive and weed-free.

Of course I would like to have a nice variety of tomatoes but we enjoy a lot of various vegetables. Potatoes, beets, onions, garlic, collards and various lettuces/greens, squash, you name it. Last year I did manage to have some of the BEST broccoli and cauliflower ever, but it was before the weeds in that area over-took everything. Onions did fairly well too. Where our garden was is where we keep pigs usually so the soil was rich and relatively well-worked but full full full of weeds. We have a (pet) cow, pigs, chickens and various other critters so I have access to manure and you are right, chickens are the best at turning over various scraps. I don't even worry about stepping into my cow's manure because usually the chickens have picked even that over for whatever grain they can find. All of our animals are pastured/free range but supplemented with grain.

My only quarrel with my chickens is that they don't discriminate when it comes to weeds and they certainly love all fruits and veggies. They are fairly destructive when it comes to areas you would like to keep green or have veggie plants. They will eat your final product for sure.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote