View Single Post
Old June 15, 2009   #36
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

In regards to the pot shards I was referring to the ongoing garden trials in the documentary where their results using charcoal and mineral fertilizer increased yields more than 800% over mineral fertilizer alone and what appears to be a million or more times over the slash and burn method. I believe that the pot shards could be a source of minerals, like the mineral fertilizer. They were growing what the scientist called corn, but unless it was a less evolved corn like teosinte it more closely resembled millet to me.
I do understand your view points. It does seem unlikely that there's some miracle earth that is going to save the world, and I don't know that this can be replicated or even made useful for everyone, however I have to wonder if the soil is fertile due to rotting debris then why isn't there fertile soil besides the areas that have charcoal. Why wouldn't the soil retain it's fertility for more than one crop like the terra preta does. Why would the bed that had the charcoal and fertilizer added produce more than the one that just had the fertilizer? It does make me think that there has to be some sort of connection, something in the soil that uses the charcoal in some way that benefits the plants. They're looking at the bacterias and fungii living in the soil as a possible link.
I did have some activated charcoal (medical grade, not the hardwood charcoal that was used in the Amazon) on hand and mixed a level 1/4 cup into the hole when planting a sage and a sweet marjoram today, along with rounded 1/8 cup tomato tone, since it was the only fertilizer I have on hand. I'm interested in how/if it will effect them.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote