View Single Post
Old February 13, 2018   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Container Gardens of Greens and Herbs

I have a lot of 9" mum pots left over from last year. I am thinking that I can plant then with lettuce, greens, and herbs and sell them as container gardens in the spring. The pots are quite large, and I use a time-release fertilizer, so it should be a good product for the customer.

I planted my first seeds yesterday. So far I have:

Emily Basil, dwarf variety, my favorite basil
Ethiopian Blue Mustard, from Fred Hempel, one of the best greens I ever tasted
Endives
Cat Grass, which is just wheat
Rainbow Chard
Green and Red Mizuna
Green and red leaf lettuce
Kale
Cilantro

Customers always ask for more than one variety of herb mixed into the same container, but I have a hard time accomplishing that. I have seen the same product on big box store shelves and the mixture is always very poorly paired, like planting Genovese Basil next to rosemary. That's going to look great for about a week, until the basil overgrows and chokes out the rosemary.

I could probably grow two microdwarf tomatoes in one pot, also. I have a yellow cherry, Aztec, that I like. I can pair that with a dfollet red cherry. Dan's red/pink microdwarf cherries are the best I have ever tasted. I think customers would love the combination with Aztec in the same pot.

I will update this thread with pics. I also welcome any suggestions of seeds or rooted plugs to try in these container gardens.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote