Thread: Fruit Trees
View Single Post
Old March 6, 2018   #74
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
This thread is a real eye-opener, I think I will dive right in to learn how. I haven't found a source in Canada that sells apple tree scions yet. I read that Medlars can be grafted to crab apples too.

There is a workshop on grafting by a home orchard association next weekend in Seattle that I'm tempted to go but can't, but it also tells me this is about the right time to try things in my area. My own records says my crab apple/apple plum trees bloomed April 1-15th last year.

I was told that the area I live now used to be orchards by Japanese families, my neighbors existing old apple and cherry trees further prove that. So maybe I am in fruit growing heaven.
Call them and ask for members in your area. Many people are happy to help others get started. I did not have any luck with grafting 25 pear rootstock. I followed a utube video. Somewhere I went wrong. Im sure the surviving 3-4 trees will be enough pear trees but I do like to have many kinds in the face of the changing climate and disease pressure.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote