View Single Post
Old November 12, 2017   #24
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

ron, I am no expert by any means... I personally don't think they look wet but cold. tomatoes hate to be cold. I have seen my greenhouse full of toms just look like they are hunkering down when they are cold, but I probably have watered them out there too and they could be cold and wet. but I just think they look cold. nice thick stems come from: variety, sometimes they are sprayed with growth regulators by the large growers when shipping them to sell, air movement, fertilizer quality/quantity..light quality/quantity..... there are plenty of factors involved to get thick stems and stocky plants. I have let mine dry out to the point of wilting... daily... while trying to keep them from getting tall. sometimes it works sometimes they are tall and woody stemmed.

you can plant those tomatoes as deep as you want. pull off the cotyledons and leaves if you put them deeper than the leaf nodes. they will grow roots wherever they come in contact with the soil.

I care for my plants differently than you are trying, but that is just difference... neither right or wrong... it is only wrong if you kill off your plants.. that is a not even necessarily a fail... hopefully you learned something... it didn't work. whether it is me or you or someone else trying to get a crop. I don't overly worry about potting up into a larger pot myself. I tend to let them get pretty rootbound if it isn't in my schedule to do something that day or even that week. it doesn't seem to hurt them any.