View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

So, today hubby and I put some 1/2" hardware cloth on the sides and the two gates of the chain link fence. We lined the inside of the fence in hopes things won't get caught between the chain link and the hardware cloth. If something does get caught it will be easier to take it out of the chain link because it will be on the outside. The kennel is up on 2"x8"x16" concrete cinder blocks and we put a 2" thick cap block on each cinder block to cover the holes. We used 3' tall by 25' long hardware cloth and it was perfect for the project but it does only cover the bottom 3' of the kennel around the inside of it. I'll be keeping watch and if I still have problems with things blowing out from the wind we will purchase another roll and do the same for the top 3' of the kennel.

When we finished installing the hardware cloth I took my bag of straw and put it all around the compost pile to block out the sun, in hopes of keeping the weeds from growing in there. I wet everything down real well and I put cardboard across the top of everything which I also wet down very well. Hopefully this will keep the moisture in and the compost moving faster.

Either way, both of these items can be incorporated into my compost when I need it. I can always replenish the straw when necessary as well. It will be easy to lift the cardboard out of the way to add to the pile and re-wet everything down as needed.

Thanks to my awesome husband for all the help he has provided for the garden this year.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 15, 2017 at 01:23 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote