View Single Post
Old January 26, 2017   #61
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Jumping in....I have been planning for years to grow greens for home use. Still working out the kinks...

I tried eating pea leaves from the garden last summer as the year prior I had liked nibbling on the Dwarf Sugar Grey.....conclusion, any other pea leave was spat out, I couldnt swallow it. Only the DSG had a sweet delicious pea flavor. ( The other vines were rolled up into a bundle and feed to the sheep.

So will be interesting to see what varieties you are trialling and hear what your tastebuds liked!!

After several failures, I figured out that sprouts need MULTIPLE " washings" a day to sprout. I have mastered sprouting lentils. Why lentils??? Because they were in the pantry.

Using appropriate seed IMO is very important. Reading JSS seed for sprouting conveys information about testing the seed for hazardous mold etc that would not be a problem when planting BUT as a sprout, likely the makings of another Salem Witch trial.

Because of this I am leary to grow and store my own dried beans.

But as I can buy tested seed....Im all for sprouting. I especially like that the sprouts in soil are greener and likely more loaded with good stuff. ( Read long ago about one nutrient that is only in the young sprout that is valuable health wise--sorry details are long gone form memory.)

I started learning about sprouts etc from THE SPROUT LADY, a book wriitten long ago but very inspiring and led me to her other books.

Need to find those cafeteria trays.....they are stored somewhere .....just not sure where...
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote