View Single Post
Old November 11, 2017   #303
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dan, another question I'd like to ask you and this is it.Big Zac,which was your winner, was originally released by Minnie Z as an F1 hybrid.She was asked to come to the original Garden Web b/c one of the websites that Wayne Hilton still owned had said to rogue out any off types,which doesn't happen that often with F1 hybrids. But several who were at GW at the time had had the same experience.

What Minnie said at GW was that one of the parents of Big Zac F1 had been lost,apparently by someone who was doing the seed production for it. Some seed sites were still calling it an F1, Reimer's did so.

I know that one of the parents of BZ was Minnie's own family heirloom variety and that she had won many contests with it in NJ where she lived at the time, but I don't think she said anything about the other parent.

Here's Tania's link for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Big_Zac

Now the above is dated, that is true.

So did you have access to any original F1's or did you grow the OP version.

If there are any F1 seeds still around I think it would be interesting to try to dehybridize it.I tried to dehybridize Burpee's F1 Big Boy one time,with the help of Dr. Oved Shriffress who bred it, but for some reason I didn't continue with that project.

Just curious about your winner,as in F1 or OP.

Carolyn