View Single Post
Old November 29, 2012   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

That's a very interesting possibility Fusion. It might even make tomatoes a reasonable commercial crop here in Oklahoma. The main reason it is so hard is the cold fronts. But the majority of the year is relatively warm and sunny. Until the killer heat finally hits. For example this year I got a freeze that killed off all my Tomatoes even earlier than most people up north. But it was only 30 degrees and frost. One day and all my tomatoes were gone, with at least another month of warm weather hitting as high as the low 80's later. My peppers didn't die and continued to grow quite well. So a tomato that could survive a freak freeze here in Oklahoma could actually extend the season 4 months here. 2 in the spring and maybe even 2 in the fall. Possibly even more but like you said, winter quality would likely be dramatically reduced.

That's an awesome find Dar!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote