View Single Post
Old October 15, 2017   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
Thank you both. In looking at photos of both viruses, I would say that the yellow leaf curl virus is probably the answer, especially given the prevalence in Florida as of late (based on some stuff I just read from the extension office). I don't see the "mosaic" patterns on the leaves. I guess that's relatively good news since it doesn't seem nearly as nasty as the mosaic virus.

I do use the yellow sticky whitefly traps and spray occasionally with Neem or spinosad to control whitefish and leaf miners. I guess perhaps not enough.

The only plant right now showing no signs is a Pink Berkeley Tie Dye.

I think the (also-diseased) citrus trees in my yard contribute to the whitefly problem. I'm probably having them removed soon since they are no longer producing edible fruit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
The whiteflies that affect tomato plants are the silverleaf whitefly, called that because it turns brassica leafs silvery, they get a silver sheen. There are more than 30 species of whitefly in florida.

I put my yellow sticky traps out every 5 feet, and keep them a little below the top of the tomato plants.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote