View Single Post
Old February 27, 2012   #26
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default Chicken and beans

Chicken and Beans
This is a really good dish, and a lttle different from the normal fare. Simmering on the stove as I type. The wife is off to pick up my grandson from school, so I told her I would have this ready on her return.
ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil; lg onion sliced and chopped; 3 cloves garlic sliced ; 1/2 fennel bulb trimmed n chopped; 3-4 carrots, chopped; 1 tbspn flour; 14.5 oz can of white kidney or navy beans; 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (or fresh!!); 1/2 cup chicken broth; 1/4 cup dry red wine; 2 bay leaves; 1/2 tsp salt; 1/4 tsp coarse black pepper; 4-5 skinless chicken thighs; 1 tbspn finely chopped rosemary ( 1 tsp dried) 2 tsp grated lemon zest.
Tonight I have no fennel bulb, so using fennel seeds, or thai basil (anise flavor) instead. No wine, so tbspn of cherry juice concentrate and 1/4 cup water there. No lemon zest, gonna try orange zest instead.
Heat oil in deep pan, saute onions on med hi, ad carrots and fennel and garlic, saute further, 10 minutes total. Ad tomatoes, flour; broth, wine, bay lvs, salt n pepper, bring to a boil, stir. Ad chicken, reduce heat and simmer covered about 40 min.
Ad beans, rosemary and zest, return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3-5 min til heated well. Serve.
I have a bunch of recipes collected over the years, I'll try to post more. I love cooking, especially unusual type dishes, as much as gardening. I never liked cooked spinach til I tried it with almonds and fresh grapes!!!! I'll do that one some time!
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote