View Single Post
Old March 6, 2009   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow plants to sell. Might experiment a little with it this year and see how it goes? Anyway, when I'm at the nursery and see people choosing plants, especially tomatoes.. it seems you have the people who will pay 7 or 8 bucks for the tall tomato in the gallon sized pot which usually has a couple of blooms and maybe a baby mater on it. Then you have the people who want a six pack for a buck and the tomatoes are leggy, yellowed, sorry looking things that have been in that 6 pack way too long.

My brother in law is one that likes the ginormous plants with the baby tomato on it. Usually, that little mater on there falls off before it can ripen or it stays small and is hard as a rock.

I think they all suffer a bit of transplant shock, so IMO you are not gaining anything by buying the larger plant with a bloom. But if I was selling plants, you bet your sweet bippy I'd have a few of those big tomatoes there for my customers to pay the big bucks for. The rest would be a normal sized, healthy plants.