View Single Post
Old August 4, 2017   #28
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
I am new to gardening and tried lots of things and I agree about Zucchini. After a full season I finally was able to get a couple fruited by doing my own paint brush pollination. Lots of pollen, but the flowers only stay open about 1-2 hours in early morning..
I had a few plants die and learned about he borers. I have saved a few plants by cutting them open and removing the worms. I did not think to Sevin on the base soil?

I think I have learned more about insects in my first year than growing plants.

Its all part of the fun and learning, but I am realizing that Nirvana image of beautiful plant covered with perfect fruit is only in the marketing pictures.. I have a way to go..
You might actually achieve those pretty looking plants and fruit once in a while for a very short while but down here in the deep south it won't last for long. You need to use fungicides and take preventive measures before things get too bad and they usually do get too bad if you take no action. As to pests like SVB they are a constant threat down here from spring til fall as are hundreds of others. You just have to keep a close eye on the plants and act fast when some of the more bothersome creatures start attacking them. Waiting to act only gives them time to reproduce and multiply making the problems so much worse.

I got a little bulb duster that is great for applying a little Sevin to just the base of the plants without getting it all over the plant. It isn't very good for dusting a whole plant but it is great for limited dusting of small things like the stems of squash.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote