View Single Post
Old January 22, 2018   #32
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Very interesting, Chris! It is a real piece of luck that the modifier also changes the color in the intermediate stages.
It is lucky. But it can be tricky. I thought my F1's X with 97L97 were pure orange until they were *very* ripe when they finally got their blush.

Quote:
I wish I knew of more indeterminate Beta OP's that are larger than Jaune Flammee. (Great tomato all the same, I was impressed with the earliness and production from the seed you sent me, thanks!). If you had some larger fruited that are already beta, it would save you a lot of space and time, since size is one of the hardest things to recover from crosses with small fruit.
I could send you seed of my F4 out of Zolotoe Serdtse, which is paste shape and size, but presumably Beta/- and sp+/- with whatever semideterminate genetics also in the mix, so still the linkage issue in play.
I think I would have some of the same linkage problems, and semideterminate is determinate w/ modifier genes. Size was even more of an issue last year. In the cross if 97L97 X Opalka the F2 was smaller than either original parent (oblong cherry size!)

Quote:
I would have expected the Beta - sp linkage to take a real beating in a cross of 97L97 and Jaune Flammee. I mean, I thought it should segregate normally because of linkage to both sp+ and sp-.
I don't believe so (I'm not a geneticist) but if we look at it this way instead:
MarkedUpJfx92.jpg

I marked the genes coming from JF with a diacritical mark(') and the genes from 97L97 with and asterisk(*). Note that the chromosome partners stay together (note, this is only for close linkages). So ultimately my breeding will be getting the Beta gene from JF and the modifier gene from 97L97 (The indeterminate sp+ genes will be coming from JF also).
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote