View Single Post
Old June 5, 2014   #123
psient
Tomatovillian™

I am new to the forums.

I have been using concrete mesh cages for 2 decades. Some of my cages are 8' tall.

Recently I bought a bunch of roll-pins with a diameter close to 8 gauge wire in order to use as ferules on the ends of the cut wire. I then mig welded the pins to the butt jointed cage-wire. This meant that the role was extended by one more cage. I am not suggesting anyone else do this as I used the experience to practice welding and make cages at the same time.

IN SoCal where I live the summers are brutal hot (115 degrees in September). I place two 8' high cages in the middle of the row of 6' cages with a length of pencil rod (3/8" rebar) running from the first and last cage to the higher ones in the center of the row. I then drape floating row cover over the rod forming a slight shade. I got the idea from watching the scene in the Godfather where Don Corleone dies of a heart attack; the director (forgot his name) had them stretch white sheets over the entire tomato bed. However, not being a wealthy person I have to do everything myself on a budget. This seems to work to avoid sun scald and other attendant problems.
psient is offline   Reply With Quote