View Single Post
Old February 28, 2006   #19
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

Location: East TN weedpatch.... I know I planted some tomatoes in here!

Last Frost in my area is May 15, but I am @ 3000', so for me, it's actually more like May 23. I'm seeing my first true leaves here as well..... had my first trays going 3 1/2+ weeks ago, mainly Brandywines, Ky Beefsteaks, and my beloved Nicholaevnas. Started another tray a week or so ago with CP, Hillbilly,Early Girl, Brandy Boy. Almost planted a 72 cell yesterday of the good "boutique" varieties, but I'm reeling from the flu and still waiting for some of my trades to roll in, so I took my finger off the trigger once the mail ran and there were no special goodies.

I have an old waterbed heater for a warmer mat which they go on while waiting to germ, then they go to my parents house and their sun room (bless their hearts... and Paw's love of mater sammiches, I think he'd be okay with them in his bed :wink: ), from there to my brother's nursery greenhouses for hardening. At this rate (thank God my brother is a nurseryman...free supplies in spring for melons, maters, and pink tips in the summer) what is in that first flat will probably be in 5 gal pots by last frost.... but if that means I have to eat 1 less store bought tomato than I would have by planting later, it's worth every bit of extra effort to me.
MtnMaters is offline   Reply With Quote