View Single Post
Old May 26, 2017   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post

Hirt's Gardens has many mediocre reviews on Amazon and Dave's Garden site, but I can go in person and pick out lovely plants at a far lower price than that which they sell for on-line. 4-pak Sun Sugar tomatoes are $1.99. But...I don't have to rely on what their packers choose to box up and dump.

Some don't..
so true. I can drive there and pick out what I want but I also see stuff I would toss in my compost pile. I wouldn't touch some of their plants with a 10' pole. I even had one employee tell me they don't put anything on their plants not even fertilizer... well, it sure did look like it, too. I think I asked if they used a growth retardant on something... he was highly offended. well, it was like march and they had a house full of vegetable starts and some were almost micro sized... not normal at all. I son't think they grow one thing there... more or less a broker/warehouse for plants and plant merchandise. next time i am there I will try to take a few pics. I usually go ther just to buy ladybugs.