View Single Post
Old June 21, 2018   #268
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 34,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I replaced a water heater yesterday in a rental trailer for a friend of mine. It is an older 1980s trailer, and has the water heater sealed in a closet that opens to the outside, behind a siding panel. It had apparently been leaking for some time. The recessed area on top that held the electrical connections was full of water! Why didn't that trip a breaker? Are wire nuts waterproof? Do you think that touching that water would have shocked someone? I don't understand how wiring can work underwater.
Darn I figured someone would explain besides me.
On phone at work will explain tonight if someone else doesn't.
In a nut shell water isn't conductive the impurities ions in it are.
Also depends on voltage.
Could you get shocked, maybe.
Worth
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
Richard Dawkins.

Last edited by Worth1; June 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote