View Single Post
Old April 8, 2014   #17
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Daconil is purely a preventative, it blocks the sites where fungal pathogens gain entry in the leaf. It washes off easily so needs to be reapplied after it rains. I don't use it myself, but a lot of people here use it with good results.

Actinovate is an organic solution, instead of a chemical you are applying a bacteria (streptomyces lydicus wyec 108), which populates the leaf surface and produces strong antifungal compounds that kill fungal pathogens. The bacteria as they grow and reproduce glue themselves to the leaf surface, so they are more resistant to washing off. It should however be reapplied every 7-10 days for reinforcement. It also is good as a soil drench in the root zone to protect the roots from pathogens. It also plays a role in plant nutrition by mineralizing nutrients in plant available form, for instance streptomyces lydicus produces siderophores that chelate iron for root uptake.

I don't put much credence in negative Amazon or YouTube reviews for a product like Organicide. The negative results is usually the fault of the user not reading the instructions carefully, not using the proper dilution rate for the particular crop, not spraying in the sun, not using it on certain plants that are known to be sensitive to the product, expecting it to be effective on pathogens or pests that it is not even rated for.
Cornell has tested it over the years and has found it to be very effective against powdery mildew and even Septoria. I can vouch for its effectiveness for PM on cucurbits, I've never had PM on tomato that I know of. I've not tried it yet for Septoria on tomato, but I just may try it in addition to Actinovate this year.

Efficacy of Biofungicide Products for Foliar Diseases in Organically-Produced Tomato

Integrated approach with resistant varieties and effective approved protectant yields best results in organic fungicide trials
RayR is online now   Reply With Quote