View Single Post
Old August 19, 2018   #710
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick9748 View Post
How much per plant from 1 gal mix in ground??Cup, pint, quart app.??
I go by how the plants look and how they are performing. If a plant looks pale and is not setting much I give it more and if a plant is dark green and sending out tons of suckers I will cut back. The size of the plant makes a big difference also. A small plant may only get a quart or so but a very large plant may bet a gallon or two just depending on how it looks at the time.

Experiment with it and you will gradually learn to read the plants and determine yourself how much is enough and how much is too much. One precaution I will give you is to not use a stronger dilution unless your ground is very moist from a recent rain or watering because if it is too strong it will reduce your root growth and even damage some roots as I learned the hard way with some young plants that I regularly fertilized at the rate of an ounce to the gallon only to find that more is not necessarily better if it is applied in a solution too strong. However I will sometimes fertilize only days apart with the normal dilution rate of one tablespoon to the gallon rather heavily to wake up or give a good boost to plants that are not thriving.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote