Thread: Fall Cole Crops
View Single Post
Old September 28, 2018   #40
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
Last year I planted them outside in pots in the shade and got better germination and growth rate than I am getting this year.
I think you're right about some shade. One quarter of my garden is in the shade until about noon-thirtyish and the fall brassicas seem to do a lot better in that environment. They can get a three year rotation there so that area will now be a permanent brassica location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
My initial thought for 2019 is that I am going to seed start for brassicas as early as June. It may turn out that that's too early but I have enough seeds to succession plant.
If it helps, after playing with start times I now start my fall brassicas at the end of July for planting about the second week of September. They are grown under the lights for about three weeks and then to acclimate to the heat, they harden off out on the front porch prior to planting out. That's where the half day of shade in the garden comes in handy.

I'm still playing with start times for broccoli succession planting. This fall it was three plants started every two weeks. We'll see.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote