View Single Post
Old June 10, 2020   #44
eldemila
Tomatovillian™

Default 2020 Squash Bugs

Was Googling about squash bugs and came upon my old post of 2016. Thought I would add to this since it tis the season!

Last year I found something that worked pretty darn well when it came to the squash vine borer, and I'm repeating the process again this year.

I took head pins, the straight pins with a colored ball on the top (bought them at Walmart). I stick these straight in to the stems of the squash, and when they get bigger, I stick them down in where elbows are. If the vine borer lays the egg at the base, or towards the base, the worm grows in to the pin...and dies! Last year I had 3 vine borers that layed eggs towards farther up from the stem, but nothing at the base, or at least that lived.

This year, I saw a squash bug and some eggs, next day another squash bug and more eggs. I had a tub of Tanglefoot and decided to brush some on the wood of the squash I had planted in raised beds in hopes that if they crawled across the wood where the Tanglefoot was they'd stick to it and die, or be held captive til I found them and smashed them. Where I planted squash in the ground, a few I have next to trellises, so I brushed it on the wood part of the trellis.

The next day I go out and checked every solitary leaf...no eggs and I see no bugs. It's now 1 week since I brushed this thick gunk in the garden, and so far, no squash bugs, no eggs. Did see a vine borer today but I'm not so worried about them as I am the squash bugs.

The squash that's not in the raised beds I took some old bamboo poles that are broken up and took those and brushed the Tanglefoot on them and stuck them near the plant.

I won't know exactly how effective this is until the end of the season, but I'm praying that maybe the smell of this product is throwing the squash bugs off and making them go elsewhere. Where I live we have 2 cycles of this dreaded bug. Between the squash bug, the vine borer and the pickle worms it's been hard to harvest squash. I'm happy to say I ate my first cocozelle zucchini today...hoping more will follow.

Will try to remember to update this after the season ends. I'm hoping to have a good report and something that I'll repeat doing next year and years after! Now I just have to worry about the darn pickle worm...hoping this stuff will deter them too!
eldemila is offline   Reply With Quote