View Single Post
Old November 18, 2012   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Thanks all. Since they are in the fridge now i guss I'll keep them in there even tho they are taking valuable space. I've read somewhere that if you wanted to start over after you've canned, that you could just fix whatever needs fixing (like an omitted ingredient) and do the hot water bath, etc. But what I want to know most of all is, if I choose to redo them (and I might), do I have to reheat the salsa before the bath? Is it critical that the contents be hot first?
As long as they stay sealed just leave it. If the seal breaks then throw it out. There is no safe way to "fix" contaminated canning mistake. Either it is sterile or you don't know...and don't know means don't take a chance.

I have reused lids before, even this year....long as they stay sealed you are fine...but if they break seal because of being reused....throw em out.

I know I am repeating myself here but it seriously isn't worth it. You'll live if a lid pops and you have to throw out a bit of salsa, you might not if botulism gets you.

PS Even if you use new lids...if it pops, throw it out. There are no exceptions to this rule. That's why they make lids that pop. It really is that important.

New lid or old lid means nothing....point is if it pops, throw it out.

The reason they say never use old lids is because they pop more likely....still work great if they don't pop though.

IF IT POPS, THROW IT OUT

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote