View Single Post
Old August 24, 2013   #18
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissyb View Post
I will be making your salsa in a few days, just need a day off from work. I overlooked the paste tomatoes this year so will have to drain the tomatoes like you suggested. Next year I will be planting Costoluto Genovese as you recommended in a different post to make sauce. Do you use the same for your salsa? I've grown Amish Paste and Opalka paste tomatoes but wanted to try some different ones next year.
My favorites for salsa are Zapotec (which is the tomato they use here in Mexico) and Russo Sicilian Togeta...neither have much moisture or a lot of pulp. Costoluto Genovese or Costoluto Fiorentino should also work equally well as they are of a similar type. I brought all those seeds to Mexico where they were unknown and now all my neighbors grow all of the above and mostly, they use them all for salsa. The exception is Zapotec which grows wild in Mexico.
I like it because it is the largest of all of the above. My Husband likes to stuff Zapotec with crab or lobster salad both of which, I am unfortunately allergic to (&$&!!#(@()$)

One of the absolute best things about living in Mexico is being able to drive down to the docks every morning if we want to and buy fresh fish and sea food coming right off the boats...nothing beats it. We eat a lot of fish. Had big grilled Tuna steaks last night and they were pretty yummy..

My Son also grew Santa Fe Grande in Wyoming this year and he says they have really done well and are filled with peppers and lots turning red as of last week.