View Single Post
Old May 4, 2018   #12
gimmieToms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
That's either late blight or gray mold, and the way to say for sure is to look at affected fruit. Late blight has a characteristic oily dark looking big roundish splotches on the fruit, usually on the underside which are not soft (when the fruit is green) and somewhat bumpy.

Prevention is usually the same. Better conditions if possible, if not spraying with copper octanoate as preventive will help some but not much (there are also other more aggressive alternatives).
Better conditions mean: 1. no rain on the plants (greenhouse or at least a transparent roof over them), makes the biggest difference.
2. better spacing. That jungle you have there is fungus heaven. In late blight territory it's single stem or bust.
The fruit had different kinds of splotches on them. Some started off a bit brown looking, some had shiny black spots and they all went rotten.
I had far too many plants (I have a problem with culling my seedlings lol), I had 25. This year I’m only growing 10-11 so will space them much better. We had a horrific wet summer. Very unusual for here. Days of rain at a time. It was terrible. Then high humidity when it wasn’t raining.
If copper doesn’t do the trick for prevention, what do you suggest instead?
gimmieToms is offline   Reply With Quote