View Single Post
Old September 29, 2018   #63
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default All Time Favorite Flower

I have to admit I was not a big fan of annuals until I started reading the market garden , and now this thread. When I was master gardening, we would go to a nursery and buy very expensive showy plants that were tropical and watch them die 3 months later. Times change, and so did the crew. Now the natives are being used.

I did, with some shame, dig up a few lantanas and keep them indoors for some cheer during the winter. The other crew members started bringing their pots.

So, I revisited my seed stash of saved flower seeds from previous mmmm swaps and moved them up in priority. Not easy when you have around 500 vegetable seedlings to care for.

I am wondering what I am growing, and the seeds were most likely shared via Tormato from someone active in this thread. They were in the worst soil in tiny trays, crammed into this small pot. They took forever to take off, but when they did it was non stop flowering all summer. The wind blew the pot over and half the branches snapped off, they rooted very easily. I have been able to save a few seeds from the remaining branches. I saw a hummer checking out the blooms yesterday morning and earlier in the week but I don't remember the time of day.

In comparison, the Victoria Blue Salvia plant that I purchased for 10 cents when a nursery was closing up in June has also taken off, but no seeds and no interest from the hummer.

Photos to follow. I carried it inside to get a better photo. In addition to the identity, the identity, I would also like to know if this might do well indoors in a sunny window this winter. Many thanks to the gardener that shared this beautiful flower!!!

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agastache before storm.JPG (92.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg agastache indoors.JPG (53.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg victoria blue salvia.JPG (71.6 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; September 29, 2018 at 11:14 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote