View Single Post
Old August 20, 2013   #34
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Delerium,

I grew NAR a few years ago and, as I recall, it produced very late, I only got a few tomatoes off of it, and the taste didn't really stand out for me. However it wasn't a good tomato year for me and I've read so many good things about it that I've decided to give it another try. Same with Paul Robeson. AGP has always been a favorite and this past season was one of the few times I haven't grown it. Same with Marvel Stripe. I'm giving it a try this fall to (hopefully) compare with Hillbilly and Lucky Cross - still going strong in the garden.

Haven't had any good grafts yet this late summer as I've been doing some major experimenting using the nebulizer for humidity and larger plants than I'm used to. Am about to try grafting some seedlings that I have duplicates of onto the 105 rootstock - going back to the old tried and true methods from last winter-spring.

Haven't posted photos of the new beds yet as it's still a work in progress and it's taken MUCH longer than I expected - mainly because I didn't buy enough aluminet shade cloth and I've been having quite a time piecing things together to get full shade coverage. I'm simultaneously working on pruning and yanking existing plants, doing some lower and lean to make more room for cuttings and new seedlings etc. And I'm restringing all the trellising with baling twine as my old poly twine is rotting away. So things are sort of a mess at the moment, but, just for you , I'm enclosing a couple of photos of things so far. I added more aluminet shade and moved the coolaroo type shade cloth to another bed..... Not a whole lot of tomato production recently but still have about 10 or so to harvest daily and things are starting to blossom again.

Anne
Your setup is very nice Anne. Never heard of Aluminet shade - i will have to check it out.. It's been a brutal hot week this week but the grafted plants are standing up to the heat and producing very nicely. Next week we drop back under 90's which i hope will help with tomato set. Here is some tomatoes setting on my fall grafts.

First Pic - Beaufort Graft
2nd Pic - Maxifort F1 fruit (very tiny cherry like tomatoes)
3rd Pic - Macro Bin Tomato Grafts - Day 59
4th Pic - Tomato Graft test bed

I am pretty happy with how the Fall Crop is turning out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fall_crop.jpg (502.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg maxifort_tomatoes.jpg (204.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg day 59.jpg (582.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg tomato_grafts_bed.jpg (641.0 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg graft_tomatoes1.jpg (89.9 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg graft_tomatoes2.jpg (81.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg graft_tomatoes3.jpg (53.9 KB, 286 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote