View Single Post
Old July 12, 2012   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default SKAGIT VALLEY GOLD -potato variety

SKAGIT VALLEY GOLD

This year...2012...represents the tenth year I have been growing this variety. I make reference to it often and I thought maybe it should have a thread all of its own. It is a diploid potato...deriving from Solanum phureja for the most part and represents one of the best yellow/orange fleshed potato varieties outside of Peru.

It has been five years since I last grew nuclear generation certified seed potatoes of it, but it still remains vigorous without being laden down with virus like so many other varieties would be. The picture of it growing in one of my cooperator's gardens is proof positive that it is resistant to the major viruses that plague almost all other varieties.

I like it because it has great flavor and has nearly 16 times the carotenoids of yellow fleshed varieties like Yukon Gold. It cooks much faster than other varieties and it should be in markets everywhere...except I am not a businessman.

I lament the fact that I could not sustain the certification of the variety by myself...way too expensive to maintain. I do offer TPS of it on my website...most of my regular readers know that site. It has been increasingly been available in complicated progenies as well.

This topic is a place holder and I will likely put a sticky on it as well.

I am hoping readers will come to this forum to learn about this variety and that many posts will be forthcoming. Thanks in advance for any input.

Tom Wagner (Potato Breeder)

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote