View Single Post
Old October 5, 2013   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Thanks, Wendy, for the contribution...and especially the following request....
Quote:
With all this above I wish it does not start another thread hijacking and that we focus on the pictures presented above and the main point of this thread. To share information about "Lateral branching, long stolons etc in potatoes".

I am using my moderator duties to make sure the topic is not hijacked and will delete any posts not directly related to the facts that we do have potato varieties not yet popularized that express great lateral branching...long stolons...etc., that support the research so poorly documented on the internet.

I like the use the Papa Chonca...derived from

Archipielago Los Chonos in Chile.....

as it is from the far south of Chile and not at all like varieties from Peru. It is a tuberosum level species and that is an important distinction from many of my lateral/long stolon diploids that exhibit those traits.

So many of my diploid lines don't show tall growth at all but just keep shooting up side branches far from the main stem. Some varieties just grow and grow like the near perennial Papa Chonca. I have had potato varieties spread over a twelve foot wide row with not underground branching but those also had long stolons so that the potato tubers would escape harvest since the tubers would be up to four feet away from the main stem.

I wish I spent more time with my potatoes this year but I hijacked myself to perform the hundreds and hundreds of tomato crosses to expand my research there. I did not make any potato crosses this year...so tightly linked was I to crossing tomatoes.

Looking at my better potato plots yesterday...I have far fewer berries than any year in the past 10 years in Washington.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote