View Single Post
Old March 21, 2012   #17
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Carolyn ,

actually Ethiopia as well as some other countries with Communist party regimes have been never occupated by Soviet Union Army. Their goverment just asked USSR to help with weapons, Army technicians and sometimes Soviet and foreign Communist leaders made decision like Soviet soldiers had to dislocate in such countries like Ethiopia, Cuba and many countries of former Warsaw Pact countries. The same way USA are still having military bases in many countries And I highly doubt any Soviet soldiers/officers thought about bringing any vegetable seeds with them and grow them there You don't know Soviet Army
We (my parent's family) haveve spent 3,5 years in Eastern Germany as a part of Soviet Army forces there (and my wife's parents had been to Cuba that way) and I must admit nobody from our neighboors think about vegetable gardening or seeds that times...
Well, in 1990, when I first visited Vietnam, I saw a Soviet aircraft on the runway, with dozens of Soviet women disembarking. A Vietnamese official told me it was a visit of wives to their husbands stationed in Vietnam. Many of them carried bags of food and even vegetables, no doubt requested by their husbands. It makes sense to me that some of them carried seeds with them that could be turned into gardens for the benefit of the men.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote