View Single Post
Old March 24, 2012   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I imagine the same applies to tomato varieties, now considered heirlooms in their adopted country, whose origin actually is the United States, but carried back by exchange students, naturalized U.S. citizens visiting their relatives, or via some other means of transport from the U.S. to the adoptive country.

Also, I wonder about the true origin of "black" tomatoes supposedly native to the U.S., yet sharing the same gf genes with "black" tomatoes supposedly native to the former USSR, France, and the Philippines.
I keep forgetting to post here but my former student Tadesse Wuhib, who was from Ethiopia said that there were permanent camps, or the like, where the Russians did live and did have gardens so I still think that Black Ethiopian was from the former USSR and named by someone Black Ethiopian.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Black_Ethiopian

.. from the Ukraine as documented above.

And speaking to the issues that Travis just raised I find the following thread from GW to be very interesting on a number of fronts:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...529042.html?13

Scroll down to the post by Mulio on April 21 and look at the assigmnet of gf alles and the comments that go with the interpretations.

Travis, despite what's been written about the origin of the so called blacks I still feel that the true origin was not the US, although yes, we know there were some around, especially after reading the thread here in the Legacy Forum about True Black Brandywine as introduced by Will Weaver, I still feel that it was the other way around, that is, so called blacks coming from especially the Crimea area of the former USSR.

Can I prove it? Well no one else can so I guess I'm entitled to my own opinion.