Thread: Toma Verde
View Single Post
Old February 6, 2010   #19
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I pick the ones I ship before they fall...It takes them about 3 to 4 days to get to Oregon and then they are all the way ripe with a brown paper husk. I ship peppers and tomatoes to her also. She has MS and won't eat anything that is not organic. THANK GOD for flat rate boxes or I would be a pauper! You can really fit a lot in that largest flat rate box which I think is like $10.50?

I have grown the Mexican Strain...It has TONS of flavor but is really small and more "sticky" than others...there is a sticky substance between the husk and the fruit of all tomatillos but the Mexican ones are almost sugary/syrupy feeling, not tasting. I was unsure about just processing them as they were or washing them...I left them as they were. The sticky stuff really has no taste... They tomatillos themselves are tart-er in flavor and I like that. I ordinarily add twice the lime juice called for in Salsa Verde anyway. They were a lot more work and it took a lot more of them to make a big batch of salsa. Also, they practically jumped off the plants...way more of them on the ground than other varieties and because they are small, they bounce and roll all over the place (which probably explains why they are EVERYWHERE in Mexico...) I am lazy...what can I say?